Saturday, November 16, 2013

TARDIS Hat (Vworp Vworp!)

Keep your ears warm wherever you go in space and time with this timey-wimey hat!


I made this hat using yarn in my stash. The blue was Lion Brand Wool-Ease worsted weight, and the white and black were acrylic. I found the pattern here as a Ravelry download (you'll need to be a Ravelry member, but the membership and the pattern are both free!). Here's a photo from the designer:


I made a few modifications to the design: the windows on my hat are larger, and the text is smaller. That meant I could repeat the letters three times around my hat, as opposed to twice in the original. It's easier to read that way. I also did a pompom instead of an I-cord for the top, because I have a pompom maker and they're fun to make. ^_^

I love the square top on the hat, which makes it look even more like a box. It's done by placing stitch markers at the corners, and then decreasing on each side of the marker on almost every round. Here's a close-up of the top:


Jason and I have a Friday night tradition of eating pizza and watching Doctor Who. Last night we pulled up The Daleks, their first-ever appearance from all the way back in 1963. I didn't start watching Doctor Who until 2010, and my first Doctor was David Tennant, but I love going back and watching the classic series. Of the classic Doctors, my favorite is probably John Pertwee (yes, even more than Tom Baker!) but I honestly like all of them. It's interesting to watch William Hartnell, especially because he came before so many of the show's iconic elements were established. 

And we are one week away from the 50th anniversary!! I have been watching and re-watching the trailers, as well as "The Night of the Doctor" mini prequel with Paul McGann. I really, really hope the special is as good as I think it will be. Still, we've got Matt Smith and David Tennant, so there's almost no way that can go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment