Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blizzard Of 2011!

I am keeping up with my "new things" resolution, but most of them are not very interesting..updates will happen when something big comes along. Case in point: Chicago is currently experiencing one of the biggest blizzards ever.

For the first time in my lifetime, our local high school is closed. They are notorious for remaining open; the last time they had a snow day was in 1967. My parents both grew up in the area, and remember the blizzard of '67 as one that completely crippled the city. My mom was a girl at the time, and remembers how excited she was because not only was she home from school, her mom was home from work. Then there was the blizzard of '79, which my parents remember because they were house-hunting at the time. They bought their first house (which we still live in today) without knowing whether the front porch was wooden or concrete. It was completely buried under all the snow. The last big snow I remember was the blizzard of '99. When we finally got dug out, one of my more adventurous friends came to school on his snowshoes. We made a snow fort in our backyard.

I have to say that I am enjoying myself very much. We are all home safe and sound, and have not lost power (yet). Plus, I am the kind of person who still wishes for a white Christmas every year. I love snow: sledding, snow angels, snow forts and snowmen, you name it. The last I heard, the official count was over 17 inches of snow, with two to five more expected before the snow stops this afternoon. None of us is planning on leaving the house today. To celebrate our snow day, Mom and I are making pancakes and bacon for breakfast. Jason is safe at home too. He decided to take his vacation this week, which turned out to be a very good decision. He was a little peeved about being snowed in during his vacation, but I pointed out it was better than dealing with the craziness at the grocery store where he works. He is planning on coming over here once the weather dies down.

I will have pictures in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment