Sunday, April 24, 2011

Doctor Who News: Goodbye and Hello

First, I was very sad to learn that actress Elisabeth Sladen passed away earlier this week. Doctor Who fans remember her as Sarah Jane Smith, who was a long-time companion of the Third and Fourth Doctors. Her character was so popular that she was brought back in her own spin-off, some 30 years after first appearing on the show. Sarah Jane also re-appeared several times on the new Who during David Tennant's run. Elisabeth was 63. She will be missed.

Also this week: the season 6 premiere of Doctor Who was last night on BBC and BBC America. We do not have cable, so I am currently downloading it from iTunes onto my computer. I think TV show downloads are one of the best things about the Internet. In all honesty, I do not watch much TV because there is very little worth watching. For that reason, we do not have cable. When there is a show on cable that I actually want to watch, I can download it the next day. Sure, iTunes charges two bucks per episode, but that comes out to $8 a month. Comcast is $30 a month. AT&T U-Verse "starts at" $19 a month. Both of them come with hidden fees and upcharges and promotional rates that end after 6 months or a year. And who knows how much they charge once the "promotional period" ends. Much better to pay for exactly what I want.

This will actually be the first time I get to watch Doctor Who at the same time as everyone else. I did not start watching until after David Tennant finished his run as the Doctor, and by the time I got all caught up with seasons 2-4, Matt Smith had finished season 5. Thank goodness our library bought all of the DVDs! Ten is still my favorite Doctor, but Matt Smith is quite good. I also really like the look and feel of s5. It has kind of a retro vibe. I think Steven Moffat (Evil Genius) does quite a good job as showrunner. Why is Steven Moffat an evil genius? Because he writes stuff that scares the crap out of people, but it all works out in the end. I am really looking forward to more adventures with the Doctor, Amy, and Rory. And River Song. Apparently this season we will finally find out who she is. Because the Doctor is a time traveler, he meets River in his future, but she has already met him in her past. If that makes your head hurt, just remember: Time is like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff.

Coming soon: Thoughts on Doctor Who, season 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment