Wednesday, June 1, 2011

30 Days of Doctor Who, Day 1

Today's topic: Favorite incarnation of the Doctor.

Ten. Full stop. David Tennant is marvelous as the Doctor. He was also my first Doctor. I started watching about a year ago, after a friend at work told me about the show. I thought it sounded really good, so I tracked down the episode she said was her family's favorite. That episode was "Blink." David Tennant is only in there for a few scenes, but I enjoyed him very much. Everyone talks about "Blink" being the scariest episode ever, but for some reason I did not find it particularly scary. This is probably a combination of watching it on YouTube and having the ending spoiled.

Then I read up some more about Doctor Who on TV Tropes and decided to watch "School Reunion," AKA "the one with Evil Giles." I absolutely loved the Doctor going undercover as a teacher. I actually cheered when he showed up at the beginning. In my mind, he will always be the Doctor.

I like Matt Smith almost as much. He acts very much like an old man trapped in a young man's body, which actually works quite well most of the time. Christopher Eccleston grew on me, although I did not like him too much at first. Of the classic Who, I have seen one or two serials each with William Hartnell, John Pertwee, and Tom Baker.

Speaking of Tom, I will try to do a Classic Who Review of "Genesis of the Daleks." Jason picked up the DVD, and we watched it a few days ago. There is no Who Review for season 6 this week, due to reruns for Memorial Day weekend.

Up next: Favorite companion. We shall see if I can blog every day for thirty days...

No comments:

Post a Comment