Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Song Advent Calendar: December 13

Today's song: All I Want for Christmas is You, by Mariah Carey


Why I love it: This one is dedicated to my wonderful husband Jason. Like the song says, having loved ones in your life is better than any presents underneath the Christmas tree. It's even better than snow...and coming from me, that's saying something. ;-)

This video claims that this song is sexist because it perpetuates the idea that all women need to find a man to complete their lives. While I agree with her assessment of the other songs discussed in the video, I've always taken this one to be about a woman who has already found the love of her life and, for whatever reason, she hasn't seen him for a long time. She is singing because she misses him, a la "Please Come Home for Christmas." Of course, if you start with the assumption that she is singing about her crush, who has no idea she exists...yeah, I can see a stalker vibe.

No comments:

Post a Comment