Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Song Advent Calendar, December 23

Today's song: Away in a Manger by Mannheim Steamroller


Why I love it: This is the one song by Mannheim Steamroller that I actually like. Usually I find their songs too bombastic. I can't really explain what I dislike exactly. Probably the instruments. Away in a Manger has always been one of my favorite Christmas carols, and they actually do a nice, simple rendition. The electronic instruments that make up their usual sound have been traded in for a recorder and guitar. The first time I heard this song, I was shocked to find out it was by Mannheim Steamroller.

This song is actually a last-minute substitute. The one I wanted to feature is apparently not on YouTube at all: Jeffrey Osborne's version of Angels We Have Heard on High/Hark the Herald Angels Sing. I looked through several pages of Google results, and there is nowhere to listen without either paying for it or signing up for some unknown site. You can listen to the preview and download it from Amazon (track 10) if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment